[pct-l] polar pure

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Thu Jan 10 08:37:15 CST 2008

Good morning, Kevin,

I've used Polar Pure quite a bit in years past, but I currently try to avoid
high doses of iodine, particularly on an extended trip.  If I wanted to use
iodine, I would use regular tincture-of-iodine from the drug store because
it can be placed into a very small bottle like those sold by Gossamer Gear
at:
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/mini_dropper_bottles.html

The Polar Pure bottle is rather heavy, and would last me for many, many JMT
hikes, particularly since I didn't often find the need to disinfect water in
the Sierras.  The Polar Pure bottle does have a handy little thermometer on
the side to help the user adjust the time vs. temperature.

By the way, if there is objection to the taste and appearance of water
treated with any iodine product it is only necessary to add about 100 mg. of
Vitamin-C to the water after it's soaking period.  That's about 1/4th of an
average tablet.  The water improves significantly, as if by magic.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^