[pct-l] safety on the pct

Steve Fosdick hikin_steve at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 00:56:00 CST 2008

Bowie knife and pepper spray ... they are not of much use unless they are quickly accessible ... thoes are the very last things I plan on keepinig in my pocket! I'd rather have a GPS in my pocket, or a snicker's bar!

  But it does remind me of a story about two hikers that were going to be hiking in BEAR COUNTRY.

  One of the hikers told the other, "I'm thinking about packing my 9 mm."

  The other just laughed. "You think a 9 mm is going to stop a bear?!"

  "No" he said. It's not for the bear. If I shoot you in the leg, I can make a run for it!

  (It's a joke!)

  Hikin_Steve

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:
      I would take pepper spray.  I always carry it for protection from animals and humans.  The chances of using it for these things are very slim, but it is nice to know I have something that is fairly light and effective.

  Pepper spray works on most humans.  Some who have certain metal disorders or certain drugs in their system, you will just make them angry.  But that is a VERY small part of the human population.  I like pepper spray.

  Say, I remember the first time I camped out with Can'tQuit.  She was setting up camp several yards from me and pulled out a BIG full size, heavy Bowie knife just before we went turn in for the night.  I now tease her about this big heavy knife she had for protection.  Too funny.  Of course, camping with a Trail Pirate, may be this made sense.  I would not mess with her even if I was a grizzly.

  Cheers, Switchback the Trail Pirate