[pct-l] safety on the pct

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 10:00:12 CST 2008

_pct-l at mattmaxon.com_ (mailto:pct-l at mattmaxon.com)  writes: It is my
experience that we let our guards down when in these trail
towns, and  other rural areas. I don't know how to describe it other than to
call it a  "Sixth Sense"
but if something or someone doesn't feel right, leave,  take action.
Switchback replies: I guess I should mention that my profession at the
police department is crime prevention.  I teach personal safety, property  safety,
etc., etc., etc., all the time to the public.  One thing I teach is  the value
of "sixth sense".  You are exactly right.  I do not want  hikers to be
paranoid or afraid to go hiking, but you should be aware.   Awareness is the key.
And that comes from education and knowledge.   By the way, I carry a small
pepper spray can on my key chain.  Not much and  don't use it down wind, but
better than nothing.  A whistle is great  too.  I just bought a hiking new
emergency whistle from REI.  It is  LOUD.  Cheers.