[pct-l] safety on the pct: Bring a man

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Jan 12 13:40:40 CST 2008

While there’s a modicum of comfort in the concept that you are safer with a
man, several names spring to mind very quickly:  David Berkowitz, aka Son of
Sam, who preyed upon couples.  The recent RTK killer also killed entire
families, including the men.  And our local guy, Richard Ramirez, who
climbed in windows and killed couples too.  People who commit mass murder
are also generally indiscriminate as to gender.  This list could go on and
on.  I’ve come to believe that being safer with a man is another fallacy
about being safe in general.  Men get killed every day, too.

Another fact that bears mention is the most women are raped or killed by men
that they know, rather than strangers.  Sad, but true.  As a woman, I feel I
have to know how to be aware and keep myself safe in all settings, because I
will not have a man by me 24/7 everywhere I go.  I have to be reliant upon
my own wits and skills because you just never know when you’ll have to be.

L-Rod

   _____