[pct-l] Making Your Own Gear

Maria (Ria) riasc123 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 08:47:26 CST 2008

Thanks Switchback for the great link. I think I will explore this option further as I am a seamstress from way, way back and can sew and make just about anything. Making  sleeping bag or tarptent would be a whole new adventure for me.

  Beyond the cost saving consideration of making your own gear; for me, there is the personal satisfaction in making something myself!

  I'd love to make you some gear; but I probably live way too far away for it to be do-able....

  ~~Ria, aka Maria

Hiker97 <hiker97 at aol.com> wrote:
      Just a reminder for the 2008 campaign.  Go to Thru-Hiker.com and see the kits they have for clothing, etc., you can make and save A LOT of money.  I think making your gear would be very rewarding for the trail.  I have had semi-custom gear made over at nanutakusa.com, but that is the extent of my experience.  And that was expensive.  Ray Jardine was a big advocate of making your own gear.

  May be some other folks know of other sites for kits to make gear.  I need some Terminators to make my gear for free.  That would be cool.

  Your pal, Switchback the Seamstress Not

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world
  and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
  ~ EB White