[pct-l] How do you measure up?

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sun Jan 13 11:16:53 CST 2008

As mentioned, many pots have a couple of measuring lines punched into them during manufacturing.  However, my beer can pot and my Titanium Mug pot do not.  I use to carry a small plastic 8 ounce cup that had marks on it.  But then I realzied that I owned a tool with a metal point designed for scoring lines; it kind of looks like an exacto knife with a metal point.  I fill up my pot with a desired amount of water and then score a short line at the water level.  I put 3 lines at 8,12, and 16 fl.oz.  The lines don't look  pretty but they are where I want them.

-Sean

>I always seem to have a problem measuring liquids when I am back-packing.
>I have a titanium pot and cup, and when I need to re-hydrate a meal, the directions
>say add a cup of water, or a cup and a half etc.  I tried to mark my cup with a
>felt tip marker at home before I go out, but the mark doesn't last but a couple of
>days before it fades away. I know there is a good trick out there for measuring
>on the trail, but I never heard anyone mention it.  I know no one carries a measuring
>cup with them, so what's the trick?  How do you measure liquids on the trail?

Doc Holiday