[pct-l] safety on the trail

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Sun Jan 13 12:32:41 CST 2008

I don't mean to give you a bad time Wheew, but I think I've about had it with the death, rapes, attacks and other horrible things that CAN happen on the trail, any trail, anywhere, at any time. Come on folks, statically what are the chances of any of the above happening.

I'm not being naive, bad things do, unfortunately happen, but do we really need to bring David Berkowitz and Jeff and Molly? That would really help those gals reassure their mother(s).

I too hike alone and as such do maintain a certain level of paranoia and and am extra vigilance, where men would not need to be concerned with. I also leave my wedding/engagement ring at home and wear a cheaper ring on the wedding ring finger. My goal would be to let any potential wrong do'er know I am married and my husband could be right around the next bend.

So, I do take extra precautions as a single woman, but to even mention those most extreme occurrences seems a bit harsh and counter productive.

are we there yet

Jeff and Molly were murdered on the AT while they slept in a shelter.  The perp shot Jeff first, then Molly, then raped her and took their gear.  He is now on death row.  A man's presence is no guarantee.....especially a sleeping man.  By the way, the perp had seen them in town, overheard their conversations and followed them out of town and up the trail.  A word to the wise...........

  Guns shoot men, women and dogs equally......

  Wheeew