[pct-l] How do you measure up?

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 02:22:03 CST 2008

I have a couple methods.  First, I carry a plastic 1L soda bottle in
addition to my water bladder.  If I need 2 Cups of water, then I know that
that is APPROXIMATELY 1/2 Liter and I'll pour half of the plastic 1L bottle
into my cook pot..

The other method I use is by "eyeballing it" how much water I need to cook a
lipton noodle dinner in my cook pot.  If you practice measuring a given
amount of water into your cook pot at home, you'll easily remember the water
level in your cook pot when you're out in the field.  After a few days of
doing this in the field, you'll know the proper water level in your cook
pot.

Most of the things you're cooking will be just fine with a little extra or
little less water.  Yes, sometimes I ended up with noodle soup and other
times my noodles were crunchy, but I lived to tell the tale. :)

Be well,

Senator

Doc Holiday wrote:
I always seem to have a problem measuring liquids when I am back-packing.
I have a titanium pot and cup, and when I need to re-hydrate a meal, the
directions
say add a cup of water, or a cup and a half etc.  I tried to mark my cup
with a
felt tip marker at home before I go out, but the mark doesn't last but a
couple of
days before it fades away. I know there is a good trick out there for
measuring
on the trail, but I never heard anyone mention it.  I know no one carries a
measuring
cup with them, so what's the trick?  How do you measure liquids on the
trail?

Doc Holiday