[pct-l] safety on the trail

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 14 12:52:10 CST 2008

Don't forget John "Seabreeze" Donovan who got lost in the San Jacintos and
died from unnamed causes (presumably hypothermia, but not confirmed).  His
death could probably have been prevented if he had carried maps and a
compass and knew how to use them.

You're right about the AT being much closer to civilization and therefore
closer to the ills of society.  Pretty much everyone on the eastern seaboard
knows about the AT, and roads that cars can travel on intersect it
frequently.  I know people who live directly on the PCT (on Agua Dulce
Canyon Road) and don't know that it's a national scenic trail that goes from
Mexico to Canada. It's exceptional that I mention the trail to non-hikers
and find that they've even heard of it.

L-Rod