[pct-l] Making Your Own Gear

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Jan 15 09:29:32 CST 2008

Good morning, Lisa,

Welcome to The List.  I'll second Switchback's recommendation of the Thru-Hiker site, not so much for the sewing instructions, but for Pack Light, Eat Right, in the "Articles" section.

I don't really enjoy sewing, but I did make a pair of rain chaps .. with my own ten thumbs .. that have become a real favorite in this Northwest weather.  My requirement was for something to prevent rain from running down my legs and into my ankle gaiters, thereby keeping my legs warmer, and reducing the amount of water that gets in my shoes.  I didn't want full pants because my rain top extends to mid-thigh anyway, and full pants do not breath nearly as well as chaps.  The resulting chaps are made of SilNylon, they are crotch-height on the inside and angle up nearly to belt-height on the outside.  On the outside of each chap is a piece of Velcro to secure them to my belt or waistband.  The pair weighs 1.9 oz.  They don't have bottom zippers up the sides.  Zippers are not my best friends in their installation, sealing, durability, or weight.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^