[pct-l] aluminum vs steel ice axe head

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Jan 15 16:52:49 CST 2008

Good afternoon Sean,

That little CAMP Corsa Nanotech on the link you sent looks like a very nice
ice axe, but I can’t tell from the photos how the adz is made.

The two adz ears of the little Camp axe broke very close to the handle, but
that failure should not be damming to the manufacturer or type.  This wasn’t
an instance of chopping steps in the usual late-season snowpack.  We were
faced with finding some steps across about 6 ft. of sheet ice that had
frozen from drip water onto a relatively smooth, sloped, rock surface.  The
young man with the axe exhibited considerable effort and enthusiasm in the
try, but he finally gave up when both adz edges broke.  The result was no
big deal: We had to go about 50 yds. around on another route.

If it were my axe I wouldn’t have even tried to chop that ice.  For hiking,
I continue to have confidence in the ultra-lite aluminum axes for arrest and
for whacking a few steps in snowpack.

Steel-Eye,

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^