[pct-l] Ray Jardine

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Wed Jan 16 17:24:35 CST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 12:45 PM,  <hiker97 at aol.com> wrote:
> I was over at Ray's site (www.rayjardine.com) and enjoyed reading his
> comments about "Cannonballs", etc.  Also, he has some neat sewing plans too
> for gear.

I find Rays stuff often interesting to read, and often thought provoking.

As promoted in the "cannonball" article, Ray seems to encourage
thinking for oneself, which I think is a good thing, and he certainly
has done some amazing stuff.

The downside of dealing with Ray in my experience, is that he very
little tolerance for the ways of other people. He seems to be really
only willing to do things the "Ray Way."

He didn't like the PCTA, so he founded ALDHA-West. One former board
member of ALDHA-West told me that he thought Ray was a "sociopath."

I disagreed with him on a website and his minions threatened to sue me
(and the PCTA, and the company hosting the web page.)

I met a hiker on the trail this summer who said he was on a group trip
that Ray was a member of a while back. That hiker said that part way
through the trip, Ray got mad at the trip leader, and quit the trip. I
guess he wasn't missed much.

And, if you are wondering, yes I have an ax to grind and I expect I'll
be hearing from Blisterfree on this one.

HYOH