[pct-l] Ray Jardine

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Jan 17 13:14:40 CST 2008

Interesting observations, and I certainly can't disagree.  I'm just struck
by the contrast of the late Sir Edmund Hillary, also a pioneer and great
adventurer, who was seemingly beloved universally and did nothing I'm aware
of offend anyone.

It's one thing to be driven and different, and not your typical sheep (we
see A LOT of that here), but it's another to make a point to put others down
in the process.  There's just no excuse for that and it's unacceptable to
me, I'm afraid.  But then, I have been indirectly maligned by Mr. Jardine,
who wrote that hiker hostels were "black holes" and hikers who went to them
"parasites."

Whatever his/their accomplishments, his/their attitude toward others
exhibits blatant arrogance, superiority, and elitism that is rare in the
community of hikers and adventurers. That too will be part of his legacy.

L-Rod