[pct-l] Ray Jardine

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Thu Jan 17 13:40:34 CST 2008

In all fairness, despite his bad points, Ray Jardine has positively contributed much to the PCT in how its sucessfully hiked.  Even if we don't agree with everything he says, most backpackers have directly or indirectly benefited from his methods.  Few people do everything he said, but most do something he said.

This discussion is nothing more then a lets talk about all of the Jardine's bad points.  Sure there is a lot of material to work with, but every person has their bad points (some more then others).  But many people here would be rightfully offended if we started to focus on nothing but those bad points in a public forum.  It would be different if the discussion was more balanced rather then only focused on the negatives.  It just comes off as being mean spirited to me and making us no better or even worse then the behavior that is being condemning.  No one is saying you have to like him or have lunch with him, but I'd like to think we are better people then this.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

-Sean