[pct-l] Vacuum Sealers

Trillium 97 trillium97 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 12:26:36 CST 2008

Hi Kurt,I love my vacuum sealer.  The main reasons I like it include:- reduces bulk- lets me pack cheese, olive oil and other possible perishables- single serving sizes that fit MY choice of serving size- No clean up - I cut open the bag, add boiling water, roll the top down and clip while the food reconstitutes, eat out of the bag.- no critter attraction - no scent out of these bags and I've NEVER had critters nibble through.  Also never had them rip in my pack. I have a FoodSaver brand and it's been great. At one point I got a FreshLock brand as a gift, I still have it but I never use it.  The FreshLock bags are wimpy and have ripped in my pack.  The FoodSaver bags are indestructable. What I hear from others who don't like this method is that a) they don't know how much they will want to eat, so single servings don't work; b) they don't make full meals like I do, instead just dry maybe part of their meal; c) the bags are not reusable ON TRAIL (they certainly can be reused, however it's impractical on a long distance hike to ship home used bags); d) it's more expensive than zip locks. Roberta ------- I am contemplating buying a vacuum sealer (like the Rival Seal-a-Meal) to repackage dried meal components. I would appreciate anyone with experience in doing this to post tips, suggestions, etc. I have been using a non-vacuum sealer for many years to good effect, though the vacuum method looks superior on paper.Thanks . . . KurtKurt P. HerzogGrants Pass, Oregon