[pct-l] Trail Journals

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:03:52 CST 2008

I've yet to do the PCT (2008!) but I've journaled other major events
in my life on the internet (basic training, medic school) and I find
that people really enjoy a journal where events are taken in good
humor. Like, we go our asses kicked in basic training for almost any
excuse but when relating this to my transcriber in a letter I always
painted it in a funny light. It really helps your situation as well as
keeping your readers interested.

Also, writing down rules "in stone" is a mistake. The real proper
thing to do is just keep your journal VARIED. You can get away with
one whining entry if you really feel that the core of that day's
experience was bad but if all your entries are just you complaining,
no one is going to want to read it. You need to do all kinds of
differents tones and styles throughout the journal and following a set
of specific rules is just going to make it seem mechanical.