[pct-l] camera

Laura Fox laura.fox at yale.edu
Mon Jan 21 08:50:17 CST 2008

I'm also in the market for a new digital camera for an '08
thruhike ... I'm currently spoiled by my digital SLR which I love but
which is just too big and heavy.  The new digital cameras available
out there change monthly, which means people's opinions and reviews
from even a year or two ago are out of date, which is frustrating.
For instance, I think the Canon S80 is a great camera, but it's been
discontinued.

This Olympus camera, which is supposedly water-proof, shock-proof,
freeze-proof, dust-proof, and drop-proof, and is also small and
light, is pretty interesting, but I don't have personal experience
with it:
http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1314

I'm also looking at this Canon camera, which is much heavier and more
expensive (and not , but has more of the features of my SLR that I'm
afraid I'll miss having:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?
act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15669

But anyway, I'd also be interested to hear what people like using.
And also, is it hard enough to protect a camera on the PCT that you'd
want one of those everything-proof cameras?

Laura

Message: 15