[pct-l] camera

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Mon Jan 21 13:43:41 CST 2008

On Monday 21 January 2008 18:44, Patrick Beggan wrote:
> Obviously you wouldn't bring all those lenses on a thru-hike. Besides
> the fact that a lot of them are redundant (do you really need a 50 AND
> a 28-200 AND a 70-300 AND a 500?) you really only need one versatile
> lens.

Agreed, there is redundancy in focal lengths, so I'd probably settle for the
50mm and 70-300mm - Maybe throw in a 2x teleconverter for the extra distance.

> Obviously you need to compromise if you want to get out of this
> without a crushed spine.

Certainly - That's just one reason the TLR and 1/2 plate cameras are staying
at home ;)

> I'm bringing my DSLR (Digital Rebel XTi) and an EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6
> IS, an extra battery and three 2GB CF cards. Leave the charger in my
> bounce box. That's not so much weight, in fact it's probably only 30%
> more than a P&S with an extra set of batteries.

Forgot about the EF-S lens - 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 at 230g. But it looks/feels
cheap'n'nasty and only fits a DSLR body.

> As for stabilization I use a beanbag (
> http://www.amazon.com/POD-Camera-Platform-Bean-Bag/dp/B00009UTQ3 ). The
> bottom has a velcro strip you can open and dump all the beans and carry it
> empty (must be an ounce or less, empty) and just fill it with sand, dirt,
> pebbles, whatever when you need to use it, then empty it back out for
> carrying.

Heard about these before - Might have to take a look at them one day.

> And the only filter you really need is a polarizer, anything else is
> just extra junk.

Got to disagree with you here. A graduated ND filter is useful for cutting
down on an over exposed sky. One or two other filters are handy with a film
body, although redundant if you concentrate on digital imaging and
postprocess with Gimp (or photoshop).

On balance, that Canon G9 sure does look tempting (if only it had a B
setting).

Regards, Paul.