[pct-l] camera

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:25:13 CST 2008

I'll stick with my 17-85 for both monetary purposes and familiarity.
It's worked great so far (It's not L glass but then again it didn't
set me back the price of a used car, either...).

And a graduated ND filter is replaced by HDR -- just get two exposures
and mesh them together when you get back. Besides the fact that a
graduated ND filter can only handle flat horizons (mountains are
definitely not flat, although you can get close) not to mention it's
only a few stops difference between the dark and light sides of the
filter, often the difference in light at sunset is even greater than
that -- I mean, it works, but its too specific a context to be worth
hauling on your back. Take an HDR and be done with it.

And don't go on about HDR, I don't like it either but if you know what
you're doing it doesn't have that unrealistic look (don't use
automatic settings and accept the defaults, for one. ex: http://www.flickr.com/photos/meta474/1471965793/in/set-72157602308407620/
  )

Most other filters are the same thing, a luxury. Not a necessity,
which is what you should be thinking about carrying. :P

Can't afford to buy another camera anyway so it's SLR or nothing at
this point.