[pct-l] I'm hiking '08

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 21 18:31:09 CST 2008

Debby,

Does the fact that someone can get through to you if they leave a clear
message and manage earn your trust?  Since you asked, absolutely not.  I
think many out there would agree that it is very unwise for a young woman
such as yourself to post where you are going to be and when for complete
strangers to view.  Of course, I’m not your Mom.  You’re 18 and a legal
adult and get to make your own choices.  But I’m going to give you my
unsolicited opinion anyway.

If you want to seek a hiking partner, don’t advertise that you’re an 18 year
old girl leaving from X on X date.  That’s insanity.  Don’t even tell them
you’re a female.  Just solicit androgynously (I had to look that one up),
and screen any interested responders to fit your criteria.  Truthfully, I
personally would feel better for your safety if you hiked alone rather than
posting your whereabouts for anyone with a computer and access to the
internet – there are so many creeps out there.

The thing is, I was trusting at 18 too.  I saw only good in people.  I had
no idea, really, how truly awful people can be.  And I’ve come to understand
that its not just a few of them that are sick, depraved, or evil – there are
many of them.  There are criminals and predators of every description out
there; just read the news each day.  Add to these anyone who abuses or
neglects any animal, who are to me as evil and reprehensible as those who
target their abuse toward other people, and the numbers increase even more.
And that doesn’t even count those who abuse the environment.

I don’t want to make this personal and confine it to you, but the phenomenon
of Face Book putting all kinds of personal information out there is so very
new in the scheme of things, and it’s already proving to have devastating
consequences for some.  Most of the people putting all of their info out
there are relatively young, and haven’t even begun to consider the possible
long-term consequences of sharing so much information with people they do
not know and should not trust.

Trust me on this though:  you will have a much different view of people and
whom you should trust as time goes by.  That is, if you don’t make the
mistake of trusting the wrong person along the line with devastating
consequences.  Some of the brightest women I know have found themselves to
be victims at some point in their lives, myself included.  Don’t put
yourself in a position to be a statistic.

L-Rod

   _____