[pct-l] Umbrellas and desert hear

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Tue Jan 22 13:35:20 CST 2008

I'm sure there is a lot of heat given off by the desert ground.
However, the radiant heat from direct sunlight adds to that. Having
spent lots of time in the open alpine of the North Cascades, my guess is
that hiking under direct sunlight adds 20 or 30 degrees to the ambient
temp just in terms of how it feels.

If you're in the hot desert, try standing out in the sunlight.  Then try
standing in the shade.  Which do you think will feel warmer.

The umbrella fellas are just trying to take that shade with them, all
day long.