[pct-l] cellphone

alden at cedar-creek.com alden at cedar-creek.com
Tue Jan 22 13:49:26 CST 2008

Ziv,

Cell reception depends on a few thing:
The carrier you're using
The phone you're using
Where you are

That obvious statement being said, I have a spring A-420 that I took with
me this last year.
Southern Cali- Great reception. Had pretty much a signal almost everyday at
some point.
Centra (Sierras)- Almost no reception anywhere (I haven't hiked this
section, that just what I've heard)
Yosemite to Dunsmuir- Again, great reception most of the time. Probably had
signal 3 of 4 days.
North from Dunsmuir- (Haven't hiked this yet, just from what I've heard
from others) Ok reception, until Central
Oregon, where, from there to Canada reception is few an far-between.

A couple thoughts- Having a triband phone was really useful (Strd signal,
Digital, and Analog). The analog signal
carries a lot further than any other type of signal, so thats what I was
using often. Also, having a way to force analog
signal was great because sometimes a weak digital would be there, and left
to auto-detect, the cell would attempt
to use the digital signal and it was too weak at that distance to connect.

I have no idea about Verizon, AT&T, or any other carrier.

Alden