[pct-l] Umbrellas

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 22 14:01:32 CST 2008

It doesn’t matter whether you cut slits or not, the sun is still beating on
your head, and you will feel it.  Perhaps you, like Brick and my husband,
are very tolerant of heat and don’t mind this.  It simply slays me when I am
trying to do a challenging physical activity (I’ve been known to sit under a
bush, panting like an animal).

I have a real hard time with heat escaping from my head when it’s hot. I
wear visors rather than hats for sun protection because of this.  In fact, I
never wear my bike helmet when climbing on my mountainbike because I
overheat, despite the ample ventilation in the helmet (I bring it along to
wear on descents). But oh, my, sweet, merciful shade makes such a big
difference, even if it’s only partial. It’s funny how much you come to
treasure a spot of shade or a puff of clouds that obscure the sun and make
it stop beating on you.

Like I said, many, many hikers obtain, create or modify umbrellas here.  If
you don’t think you’ll want one, start without it, or bounce it ahead.  It
may be something you only want for So Cal, so buying a really cheap one that
you doctor up with mylar creates something you won’t mind throwing away or
leaving in a hiker box.

Another non-umbrella option is to take siestas during the heat of the day,
and hike at night or at least in the cooler morning and evening hours.  Some
hikers rig shade shelters out of mylar (or other materials) using their
trekking poles and line to wait out the worst of the heat.

L-Rod

   _____