[pct-l] Seattle area 2008 Thru Hikers - test your gear

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 15:22:10 CST 2008

Seattle area folks - you have a chance to test out your sleeping system for the next few days at temperatures that are representative of what you may expect to encounter on the trail.  Predicted lows are in the upper 20's to low 30's - and with no rain / snow in the forecast for a few days, it's a perfect weather set up.  While you may experience lower low temperatures out on the trail, this is a good chance to give your gear an acid test against realistic temps you're likely to encounter.

  I took the opportunity to sleep out in the back yard around this time of year in 06 prior to my thru hike during a similar weather pattern.  Lows got down to around 23 degrees (obviously, bring a thermometer for the test so you know what the temp is).  I only used what I was actually planning on having with me on the trail - sleeping bag, wind shirt, down vest, long johns, etc.  I wasn't toasty warm, but then again, I wasn't cold - I found the lower comfort limit of my system.

  It was a good data point to have to evaluate my plans and gear.  The test gave me confidence that my setup would suffice out on the trail (which it did).

  So - set up your shelter in the backyard (mooch off friends with a back yard if you have to), break out the sleeping bag, pad and the clothes you're planning to bring and give your gear a try.  You'll find out quick if your gear performs as you expect.  For those of you who are unsure if your sleep system will suffice - I'd suggest that it's better to find out now rather than when you're freezing your back side off around Mt. Laguna or up near Wrightwood.

  TC