[pct-l] cellphone (and ham radio link)

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Wed Jan 23 08:43:28 CST 2008

I've sometimes pulled my cell phone out and seen 4 bars, only to find I
still cannot connect. This is usually on a high point where I can see
civilization far below. I've been told that my cell phone is receiving a
strong signal but does not have enough power to send a signal back.
Others have said the cell site was busy, but one spot (near Red Tahquitz
overlooking Palm Springs) I tried in three trips, including midday and
late at night, with the same results.

So, testing a signal may mean actually making a call rather than just
looking at the bars.

Testing would mean either leaving the phone on for long periods to time
or turning it on frequently, either way running the battery down. That's
why I use the carrier's maps first, to see if there's any hope. The
battery drain is greatest searching continuously for a signal.

AsABat