[pct-l] Fw: cell phone coverage

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Wed Jan 23 09:02:57 CST 2008

Below, Bob asks me to explain myself.  As you proceed north from Timberline
Lodge around the west flank of Mount Hood, you'll cross the canyons of Sand
Creek, Little Zigzag and Zigzag and then arrive at a junction.  Official PCT
to the left, Paradise Park to the right.  Official PCT is a non-descript
trail through the woods.  Paradise Park trail wanders through a big, open
beautiful alpine meadow.  The .original PCT and its forerunner the Oregon
Skyline Trail went through Paradise, which got beat up due to overuse. An
alternative trail was built to take the pressure off Paradise Park.  If I
recall correctly, livestock are now prohibited on the Paradise Park Trail.
Paradise Park Trail rejoins the PCT a few miles to the north, adds little
distance and a bit of elevation gain to the official route.  You may want to
avoid camping in Paradise Park, but walking through it won't harm the meadow
and may very well benefit your psyche.  I am really not sure though where
you would camp in this general area that is not, in some sense, over used.
If you start at Timberline Lodge in the morning you will be well clear of
this area and somewhere north of Lolo Pass by bed time.

Wayne Kraft