[pct-l] Hiking in 2008: rain gear, pacerpoles and Roper's High Route, Food

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Wed Jan 23 16:57:40 CST 2008

Hi David,

Welcome to the group.

I too have thought of doing part or all of the Sierra HR on a PCT thru
hike.  When it comes time for me to do the thru, I will probably do it.
At the risk of stating the obvious, here are some considerations that
come to mind about the High Route:

1) It will take longer.  You can maintain a pace of 2 to 3 mph on a
trail.  Off-trail it's difficult to do 2 mph, 1 or 1.5 is probably more
likely.
2) The scenery will be even more spectacular along the HR than on the
trail, so that will likely slow your pace even more!
3) You'll be camping in high exposed areas, so your camps will likely be
colder than camps along the trail.
4) Because of that exposure, thunderstorms would present a more serious
danger than hiking on the trail.  While not near as common in the Sierra
as in the interior ranges of the American West, summer thunderstorms do
happen in the Sierra.
5) You gotta know what you're doing with map and compass (and/or map and
altimeter).  You need to be completely confident in your ability to
navigate long distances off-trail in the high mountains.

I'll be very interested to hear about your trek should you decide to go
this way.

Good luck!

Greg