[pct-l] Hiking in 2008: rain gear, pacerpoles and Roper's High Route, Food

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Jan 23 18:08:04 CST 2008

Good afternoon, David,

Welcome to The List.  You may be amazed by how great some of the discussions
are and by how really crummy others end up.

Rain Gear:
I don't use any GoreTex except occasionally a broad-brimmed hat in the
Northwest.  I find GoreTex is just too heavy, and I stay dry only when it
isn't raining.  I have several sets of Frogg Toggs, and I use them quite a
bit locally in the winter here near Mt. Hood, but I find them too
heavy for PCT Oregon & California, and not to my liking for Washington later
in the season.  My objections to Frogg Toggs are 1) their weight at 15.2 oz.
per set, and 2) the fact that the top won't cover my pack.  The Togg top can
be used as a windbreaker, but other windbreakers weigh less than half as
much.  My shelter tarp has a hood in its center so I can use it as a poncho
in the rare instance it rains south or central.

For more serious late-season rain I use a Bigley Parcho which is a hooded,
poncho-type thing that covers both me and my pack, and is baggy enough to
ventilate well without being as monumentally floppy as a poncho.  It weighs
about the same as a Togg top at 8.8 oz.  It covers to approximately knee
or mid thigh, so I wear easy-ventilating 1.9 oz SilNylon rain chaps below
that.  They are a good windbreaker and keep the water from running down my
bare legs and into my shoes.  A skirt wouldn't do that for me.

I can rely on the Parcho hood, but I really prefer the GoreTex hat at 3.5
oz. because of its improved freedom, visibility, and ventilation.  Whatever
I wear on my hands is easily protected by the arms of the Parcho.

Food:
To save weight and clean-up aggravation I don't cook on the trail.  I've
made pemmican, but I didn't use serviceberries.  It works fine, but it was
developed to use the jerky and fat in a way that keeps both from spoiling.
Nowadays, plastic bags keep jerky dry and there are many easily portable
fats .. like vegetable oil .. so pemmican looses much of its traditional
appeal.  If you want pemmican I suggest you use lean ground beef rather than
regular cuts that you have to slice.  Ground beef doesn't have to be sliced,
it dries more quickly, and it doesn't have to be cut up before being pounded
or chopped in a food processor.  I use patties of ground beef for all my
jerky.  They are easy to eat, and if I do cook, they crumble easily into the
stew.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^