[pct-l] Hiking poles on airplanes

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:31:09 CST 2008

Yeah, I usually just tie mine off to the top of my duffel bag when I
travel somewhere to hike or take photos (but not long-distance
backpack). Sometimes they make me sign a waiver for improperly secured
baggage or some such, but nothing bad has ever happened. Eric's idea
sounds safer, though.

I take the train now mostly anyway, baggage is much simpler and free
on the train. You handle it yourself, basically. :P I put it in the
cubby section down on the lower floors of the superline, or behind the
backmost train car seats on a single floor and it's fine, I usually
just slip my poles through some carbiners on the pack and tie them off
at the top to the lid.