[pct-l] Simmer with alcohol stove

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Jan 24 14:16:37 CST 2008

I was a faithful soda can stove user, until I hiked with Aaron and Nathalie
who had a Swiss "Trangia."  It has a simmer ring which lowers the amount of
flame being emitted.  I also like it because it has a cap that allows you to
carry unused fuel in the stove.  Check it out at:

http://www.rei.com/product/657906

The whole system weighs slightly more than my old set-up, but I am very
happy about being able to control the flame.

I must confess that I was cooking my supper on the Bighorn Plateau, before
dropping down to Tyndall Creek, and the flame on my alcohol stove licked out
and started to burn some forest duff.  I got it out immediately, but the
thought that I could have been responsible for starting a fire in one of the
most beautiful places I'd ever been was really a wake up about the dangers
of alcohol stoves without any flame control.

L-Rod