[pct-l] sleeping bags

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Thu Jan 24 16:26:04 CST 2008

another way I like to look at it is this:  If you bend a fiber and then
unbend it, how much damage will there be to the fiber?  Maybe none.  But
if you bend it in an extreme way--for example, creasing it--how much
damage will there be?  Probably some damage.  Keep creasing it in the
same place again and again, and eventually the fiber will break.  This
is what we do when we want to tear a piece of paper--crease it along a
line, then crease it in the other direction, do this a couple of times
and the fibers that hold the paper together break, and you get a clean tear.

Using a compression stuff sack puts all the fibers in the down under
extreme pressure.  It will be like creasing those fibers that are bent
in an extreme way, resulting in damage to those fibers.  Down is
extremely resilient, but it will wear out eventually.  IMO a compression
stuff sack will only accelerate that process.

Greg