[pct-l] Down Sleeping bags.........

Pat Wormington airecrew at netzero.net
Fri Jan 25 12:42:40 CST 2008

    I also use a plastic bag for my sleeping bag if rain is
threatening.  I cook my down bag 20 minutes each side during my lunch
break so it is nice and dry when it goes into my tent.  An old chest
freezer is also an ideal place for home storage, no worry that critters
will chew our sleeping bags.  Down will last for years if well cared
for.  My bag is early '70's vintage and is starting to lose loft with
the intense use of hiking the PCT.  I changed to a synthetic +10 degree
bag for the dark and damp state of Washington and I LOVE it.  I froze in
a +30 degree bag when I tested it off trail.  On the trail, dropping
body weight also decreases the natural insulation.
    Nice to hear the entire Sierra is getting moisture.  The 15th Annual
Calpine, CA Ski Tour will be February 9th, a benefit for the Calpine
Fire Department.  The tour route is from Yuba Pass to Calpine, a 14 mile
X-Country trek with lunch on the hill and dinner in Calpine.
<www.calpinefire.com>    Last year the snow was so sparse they did a
loop on top and were bused back to Calpine.  This year should be perfect
snow conditions.

Jollylopper