[pct-l] Pocketmail out of stock until end of April

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Fri Jan 25 13:25:39 CST 2008

I met a bicyclist who was cycling cross-country last year and he
showed me the device he was using to keep a journal at
CrazyGuyOnABike.com.  It was a small computer (size of a deck of
cards) with a separate folding keyboard.  The keyboard "spoke" to the
computer via BlueTooth, and he would use it in his tent every night
to do his daily journaling.  Then when he was someplace with WiFi
(library, motel, Starbucks, etc.) his tiny computer would upload to
the internet.  Whatimpressed me was that the the folding keyboard
opened up to full size, which looked a whole lot easier to type on
than a PocketMail device.  I have never used either one, but I did
follow his journal as he continued his trip so it seemed to work for
him.  These are the components he used:

> My computer is an H.P. iPAQ 5915 and the keyboard is a Think
> Outside blue tooth jobbie, I don't know the model number offhand.

I don't know that this will completely translate over into the PCT
hiker world, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone is looking
for an alternative to Pocketmail.  The keyboard seems to work with
many different types of "computer" devices, including "smart
phones."  Again, I don't have one and just trying to compose a
literate email describing what I saw has exhausted my pitiful fund of
knowledge about such things.

Two Legs