[pct-l] how fast do feet change

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:44:49 CST 2008

Hi Casey
Congratulations on your thru-hike

You ask:
Should I start the trail with should 1/2 size bigger, or wait until I'm busting out of my current runners?

My answer is   No.

Bigger shoes is right.................. but even bigger.

I wear shoes 2 sizes bigger and big enough they ring like a bell when I shake them.  When I keep my miles under 30 per day I have zero problems.  I'm usually good beyond that too.  I never TIGHTEN them on my feet.

When to get them bigger?
Using my normal size one year in a grear, broken in shoe my feet were destroyed by the 45 mile marker.  They never recovered the whole season.  5 months of pain and lots of time off the trail.  Expanding started immediately.

The standard is one to one and a half sizes too big, but your mileage may vary.

Try this link "Fixing Your Feet" http://vonhof.typepad.com/fixingyourfeet/  John is one of us.

See you on the trail

Monty