[pct-l] cougars in San Gabriels

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Jan 26 13:47:52 CST 2008

Good gravy, that's close.

I've referenced this book before, "A Beast in the Garden", but it's an
excellent and definitive study of mountain lions and how/why they attack
people, focusing this study on attacks in Boulder, CO.  To summarize what
the book said, because they're unsure of us as prey, they check us out
stealthily and gradually become bolder as they learn they typically have
little to fear from us.

To follow that theory, the cat that checked you out has been watching
people, and has become bold enough to get within inches of you. I just hope
there are plenty of deer and other game so hunger won't force this cat to
try people on the menu. Often, but not always, cats that attack people are
sick or young, but a mature healthy cat that is desperately hungry can
resort to eating people, too.

I have no doubts that the prey is scarce in the San Gabriels after the
severe drought we had last winter.  In '05, with the record rain, we had an
explosion in the population of all forms of life from bugs to mammals.  I'll
wager that the big cats flourished in those conditions, only to be left
hungry with the dearth of life that followed due to the drought.

L-Rod