[pct-l] how fast do feet change

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Jan 26 14:02:09 CST 2008

Casey,

How fast your feet change will depend on your own physiology and the
conditions you hike in.  Some hiker’s feet don’t change at all.  Others
change and swell on day one.  How much you weigh, how much you’re carrying,
and how conditioned your feet are to repetitive walking all come into play.
Heat often makes feet swell, increasing your chances of having this happen.
I believe the experts recommend that you start with larger shoes, but I
think they recommend a full size larger.   Personally, I hike in and swear
by Chacos which can be adjusted for width – I’m not sure what my feet might
do, and I don’t want to take any chances.

One thing is certain – if your shoes are not large enough, your feet will
suffer.  We’re at mile 454, and see a whole lot of traumatized and swollen
feet.

L-Rod

   _____