[pct-l] 2008 Netting Tent Phenomena

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 23:01:07 CST 2008

I noticed in the new issue of Backpacker Magazine the trend toward 360 degree view netting tents.  As you know for years I have been advocating this shelter system.  I am now taking full credit for this new phenomena in the backpacking world.  We now see a welcome trend away from the traditional nylon prisons on the trail.  Prison cells that separate you from the very thing you came out to be with and enjoy.  You spend may be 30-40% of your expedition time inside your shelter.  THAT IS A LOT!  Why would you want to be enclosed in a nylon cage with very little views?  It is beyond my understanding.

Cowboy camping and some bivy camping is fine too.  But when I see tents with just one end or side open to the outside, it drives me nuts --- it is like the designer is teasing you --- torturing you --- you only are allowed a small taste of Mother Nature from your shelter.  Tarps are fine if it raining, otherwise forget it.  If you want privacy, just put on your tent rainfly.

Just one of my gear hot spots.  Of course, HYOH, etc., etc., etc...........you decide what works for you and makes you happy on the trail.

Switchback the Trend Setter