[pct-l] Carrying Water on your Hips

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 17:14:40 CST 2008

hey gunga din! you got any photos of this set-up?? :-D

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:44:08 -0800From: hiker97 at aol.comTo: pct-l at mailman.backcountry.netSubject: [pct-l] Carrying Water on your Hips

With my waist pack system, I have the ability to have almost one and half gallons of water around my waist.  But there is a secret for doing this.

I have a strap from the waist pack up through my lower shoulder straps area.  This helps with the load, so it is not all carried on my waist.  My shoulder straps take some of the load.  This system is very comfortable.

I would guess that if I had a full load of water, about two thirds would be on my hips and one third on my shoulder straps.  It is very nice to carry water this way.  You have a low center of gravity and feel very coordinated.  I do not cook on the trail, so a gallon and half is big time carrying capacity --- hardly ever needed.  Also, I use Gatorade quart bottles for my water.

Switchback the Gunga Din of the Trail