[pct-l] Gossamer Gear packs anyone?

Craig Rice rice.craig at comcast.net
Sun Jan 27 18:58:17 CST 2008

I've used two Gossamer Gear packs for my section hikes of the PCT--a
G5 for Washington and Oregon in 2006 and a modified Whisper (I had two
side pockets added to make sort of a mini-G5) for Campo to Kennedy
Meadows in 2007. Both packs worked well on the trail. The rest of the
PCT I had previously used Six Moon Design (Starlight and Moonlight)
packs, but ultimately switched to Gossamer Gear packs for their
lighter weights. The G5 and Whisper were more than adequate for these
950 and 750 miles sections, respectively, of the PCT. My G5 now has
around 1200 miles on it, and I continue to use it. The Whisper died
after about a 1000 miles following some rough cross-country use in the
Sierra's. Too much scraping against granite and manzanita eventually
wore out the fabric.

For an ultralight backpacker, the Gossamer Gear packs are well suited
to the predominately open, clear trails of the PCT. I would they
carried much better than the Six Moon Designs pack I had previously
used. For the Sierra sections, the Mariposa would be my pack of
choice. The extra load carrying capacity of the Mariposa relative to
the G5 or Whisper is better suited for this stretch of trail. The rest
of the PCT, a G5 or Whisper was more than sufficient for me. Gossamer
offers both sil-nylon and spin-cloth packs. I would recommend the sil-
nylon over the spin-cloth. The sil-nylon seems much less prone to
snags and abrasion.

Sil-nylon is surprisingly abrasion-resistant, and relatively robust
material considering its weight. But it still needs to be babied. If
you're the type who "takes good care of you gear", you'll be happy. If
you like to just drop your pack without regard for where it lands;
drag it behind your car, or spend a lot of time going cross country
you'll be better off with a heavier and more robust fabric. Sil-nylon
will have a shorter life than heavier fabric. But given how light
weight and compact the Gossamer Gear packs are, you might consider
putting a spare in your bounce box.