[pct-l] Carrying Water on your Hips

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 20:06:59 CST 2008

robohiker at hotmail.com writes: Hey gunga din! you got any photos of this set-up??
------------------------------------
Switchback replies: No, I do not.  It is part of my Unified Field Theory of Backpacking.  Here is the gear list of how I do it.
1.  Mountainsmith Lumbar pack turned to the front and carried as a belly pack.  I carry a lot of neat stuff in my belly pack.
2.  OR liter bottle pouches -- attached with Velcro One Wrap straps -- two pouches on each side.
3.  Gatorade liter water bottles.
4.  Take the Lumbar pack shoulder strap and undo it and make it go inside the pack shoulder straps and reattach the clip to the Lumbar pack.  Now the waist pack is partly supported by the pack shoulder straps.  Neat.  Most of the waist pack weight is still held by the hips, but it now has a lot of help from the shoulder straps.  Too cool.  Remember, this is not necessarily an Ultra Light technique.  It is mostly a convenience technique.

The waist/belly pack is something I have used for at least 100 years on the trail.  John Muir was the one who mentioned it to me one day when we were banging along the Sierra crest -- I pointed out to him where the JMT trail was going to go someday, he was very pleased.  I normally charge $1400 per person to attend my backpacking seminars to learn this information.  But at the April Kickoff I will present a free seminar (if they let me in the April Kickoff again) on SuperSecrets of Backpacking.  Attending this seminar you receive a beautiful certificate of completion suitable for hanging on your office wall.  Last year's seminar it was well attended.  It is on Saturday usually at site #22.

Cheers, Switchback the Albert Einstein of the Trail