[pct-l] journaling for real vs. online journals

katherine becksvoort kabecksv at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:36:01 CST 2008

Hey all,
I am keeping an online journal this year for the first time, via worldpress, for a thru hike. As the PCT thru is in the middle of my "Year of Possibilities", (travelling for a year after quitting my job) my journal will not be for the sole reason of keeping a journal. Let me explain....

I am a practicing artist who has spent the past two years studying bookbinding and bookarts in my "spare" time. For my AT thru hike in 04, I kept a written journal on old schoool paper that I mailed to myself home every week or so. I then came home, and a few years later, bound those loose sheets into a book...actually opened up all those old letters and re-read them...and put them together in a format where I actually had all the actualy envelopes with the stamps from various trail towns, and the spillage of water or coffee or Ramen, and the crinkled wet pieces of paper from rain storms, etc....signatures of some folks I met along the trail....it all came together amazingly.

But, this year, for the PCT, I'm keeping my own daily journal for myself similar to what I did above (as that really kept the experience alive for me years later; things I had forgotten) while also keeping an online journal via my worldpress blog. This online blog is for all the folks out there who want to keep track of me and how I am...not for a daily record of what I'm doing or what I'm seeing. This is more a weekly or so entry...or every couple of days...whevener I feel like it, really....to post something (thought, Idea, location, photo, expiernce, epiphany) that I would like to share with the folks that are interested in my "Year of Possibilities" and my thru hike.

So, I'm doing both...but am much more commited to the experience of journaling for me, as it's ultimately, I feel, an experience for me to document and look back on later.

Just another take on things......HYOH.....

MoonPie