[pct-l] A backpack conundrum

Joel Ramey joel.ramey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:13:46 CST 2008

Alright, so something that I've really been kicking around hard lately is
whether or not I should replace my pack with something lighter.

Currently I have a Gregory Whitney, which I love in terms of its suspension.
The pack is fairly new, I bought it this summer before I decided to slash
weight and rethink my hiking strategy.

The weight of my sleeping gear and shelter system is ~4 lbs (about 5 in the
sierra's, switching to a tarptent)

I'm trying not to bring much in the way of luxury items. But I will most
likely be using a bear cannister in the Sierra's (my family and black bears
have a long feuding history), and wasn't sure how this would effect using a
lighter pack.

I'm also not sure if I'm ready to switch to a rucksack, especially since I
may not have much time to get out hike enough to learn how to efficiently
use it, or if I'll even be comfortable with it.

Any thoughts?