[pct-l] Cellphone coverage --- a few more data points

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Tue Jan 29 15:46:15 CST 2008

Last Wednesday, Lon wrote:

"Brian, I don't know if their is enough interest in a cell phone report or
not. I remember a year ago AsABat suggested something like this on the list.
I would be willing to attempt to compile something like this if other hikers
would help out with reception reports."

First off, I want to thank you Lon, for the excellent start represented by
your work here:
http://www.pctmap.net/cell.html

I just hiked from Campo to Mt. Laguna last week (Thursday through Saturday),
and have a few data points from this.  My provider is AT&T, using a GSM
phone (ETEN Glofiish M700).   My hiking partner had a Blackberry using
T-Mobile.   I should say as an aside that in the few checks I made, nothing
contradicted what you have listed so far.

About NOB mile 12 I got good cell reception (I don't think he did, but I'm
not sure).

I got good coverage near Buckman Spring road (after Hauser creek, before
Morena state park); so did my friend's T-Mobile device.

I got fine coverage at Morena State Park, but his T-Mobile did not.

A ridge perhaps 2 miles past Morena State Park, both AT&T and T-Mobile get
reception, est NOB mileage 22 or so.

Good AT&T reception at Cottonwood creek mile 26 (not at the bridge, but
farther on; probably at the bridge too, didn't test for reception there).
Odd, no water flowing earlier under the bridge, but good flow of what I
think is the same creek at NOB 26 ...

Boulder Oaks campground: good reception for both AT&T and T-Mobile.

Got signal at Kitchen Creek Road, NOB 30.6, but not very strong (ATT). I
didn't try, but I suspect that walking a short distance along the road might
have improved things.

No reception at Fred Canyon Road, NOB 33 for either device.

I got it near Mt. Laguna, but in the actual motel I mostly didn't.  But once
I did (weak but useable signal) --- go figure.  T-Mobile never did.  From
Lon's report, I assume that walking east a ways would get signal, and in
fact I did get good signal very shortly before we walked west off the PCT.

One of the people at the Mt. Laguna store said that Verizon works best
there.

Hmm, and one minor unrelated update to Yogi's book (the smaller book, page
11) --- the Mt. Laguna store WILL take credit card, but with a $10 minimum.
Prices at that remote store are naturally high, so in fact it doesn't take
all that much to hit the minimum ... <g>
Oddly enough Yogi's text under "resupply" says there's no ATM, but on the

	Brian Lewis
	http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6169