[pct-l] Where are the bears?

Unnu pct at cryptogamic.org
Sat Jul 5 23:44:09 CDT 2008

Bob Bankhead wrote:

> The PCT passes through seven national parks:

[...]

> You have the info for the first three plus the adjoining Inyo National Forest.
>
> Check the websites for the remaining NPs for their latest food storage requirements. A quick check revealed none of the remaining four mandate bear canisters, although North Cascades NP does list them as one of the approved and mandatory food storage methods.

[...]

> North Cascades:
> http://www.north.cascades.national-park.com/camping.htm#bear

I apologize that I'm a little tardy in replying to this, but the above
website isn't an official NPS website - see the disclaimer at the bottom
of the page: "This site is in no way associated with the United States
Government, the Department of the Interior or the National Park Service".

As near as I could quickly find, current "official" bear information for
North Cascades NP is here:

http://www.nps.gov/noca/naturescience/bear-safety.htm#CP_JUMP_133990

"Please note that failure to store food properly or to maintain a clean
camp can lead to citations under the Code of Federal Regulations (Title
36, CFR 2.10(d) and 2.14)."

but

"Use animal-resistant, food storage boxes at campgrounds equipped with
them. Never leave food or trash in these boxes when you move on.  Take
at least 50 feet (15 meters) of parachute cord or rope on backcountry or
boating trips. If the campground lacks a food storage box, place your
food, cooking gear, and toiletries in a bag."

and oddly

"Hang canisters in a tree [!] at least 100 yards (90 meters) downwind of
your tent or at least tie them to a rock or tree to keep the canister(s)
from rolling away."

I've never heard of anyone getting cited for improper food storage in
the North Cascades, but maybe that's just me.

Unnu