[pct-l] OR PCT -Snow Conditions

mattjolley at comcast.net mattjolley at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 13:37:14 CDT 2008

The snow has been melting about 2 inches a day in the Oregon reporting stations, only 2 have any
 snow left.  Trail elevations are sometimes higher.

I have enjoyed checking out the PCTA volunteer trail maintenance people and some of their postings on pct-l.
In short,  the snow melts,  the volunteers check out the trail,  and then start cutting the fallen timber.
One counted 72 fallen trees in 2 miles.

>From South to North  recent reports  in addition to the ones posted here,

Riv&Dan reported crossing sketchy north face snow Jun 28 at about mile 1590 to 1605  before
Etna, about 7000 to 6000 ft elevation.   posterholer.com  journals.

The 18 inches of snow at Annie Springs  mile 1830  elevation 6010 melted off in 6 days June 23 to 29.

Crater lake Rim has snow patches on the web cam July 6,
http://www.craterlakelodges.com/cratercam.htm

July 5,  there was no snow at Willamette Pass at mile 1912  at 5000 ft elevation.

McKenzie Pass  Oregon Hwy 242 is expected opened from the East in mid to late July,  but
west will continue to be closed for bridge construction.

postholer.com PCT snow report page,  you can just click on the elevation and see the last 30 days or so of snow reports from the weather station.     But sometimes  stations are 1200 ft or so below max trail elevation.

Matt

Michael wrote >>
[pct-l] OR PCT - Snow Conditions
Michael Donnay mdonnay at yahoo.com