[pct-l] Belden Area Fire Info

Alden Tondettar atondettar at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 18:35:01 CDT 2008

Things you need to know:

The PCT is CLOSED from Quincy-La Porte Road to Highway 36.  This is about a hundred mile section.  Most hikers seem to be either hitching or road-walking from Quincy-La Porte Road or Sierra City to Highway 36.

The "Belden Fire" fire is burning about 1/2 mile above the town of Belden, to the north. The Braatens were not expecting to be evacuated, but access to the post office was impossible on July 3.  I do not know if the mail was left there, or moved elsewhere.

The fires SOUTH of Highway 70 seem to be far from the trail, while the fires NORTH of the highway are either very near or on the trail.  I would not
 be surprised if the southern part of the closure were to get lifted earlier than the northern part.

In any case, if you end up in Belden somehow, and the the trail going north is still closed, I would recommend the following route (suggested by Mr. Braaten) from Hwy 70 to Hwy 36. I hiked this on July 3-4, and it worked great. It is about 35 miles (vs 47 on the PCT). There is very little highway walking involved (about five miles), with the rest a mix of little used dirt and paved roads.

>From Belden Town Resort:

Hike EAST on highway 70 for 1.5 miles until you reach Caribou Crossroads Store (the same store that is in Yogi's book).  This is a very busy road (when it is open!), so be
 careful.

Turn LEFT on the paved road (light traffic).  Walk 8 miles.

Turn LEFT at the signed junction to Butt Lake [this is not a typo.  make your own jokes.] Continue about 5 miles on the dirt road to Butt Lake.  There are many roads in this area, but stay on the most heavily-used
 one and you should end up at the lake.

Continue north along the dirt road on the east shore of Butt Lake.  You will pass two campgrounds.  The second one is your last source of water until you reach Stover Camp on the PCT in about 15 miles.  After the second campground, your route becomes paved.  Stay on the paved road until you can SEE highway 89, then turn LEFT on the last logging road before the highway.  It is about 10 miles from the south end of Butt Lake to the highway.

Follow this road, which is almost never out of sight/sound of the highway, until you reach highway 36. (about 7 more miles)

Turn LEFT on highway 36.  Hike about 4-5 miles to the PCT marker. There is lots of fast traffic here, but the shoulder is halfway decent.

This is not the shortest route (there is a maze of logging roads in this area), but it should be easy to follow.  Mr Braaten has a map at his house that should
 help.

The trail through Lassen Park is OPEN, despite rumors to the contrary.

Alden