[pct-l] on-trail thru sightings

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue Jul 8 16:25:02 CDT 2008

Between July 4th and 6th, Tuolumne Meadows and Red's Meadow, my JMT-yo-yoing son and I met the following thrus cruising north-bound healthy and happy:

Germinator
HR Huff-n-Puff
Tattoo Joe and Scott
Hardcore
Late-comer
The mother/daughter team of
    Wind-breaker
    Vanity Fair
Kombuta
Vegematic
Tex and Karen
Bat-Dude and Mistress
(and more; John remembers all the names, but he's still out on the trail....)

Everyone was in great spirits and moving right along. Most looked like they had just been in Mammoth as they were pretty clean and loaded down with another resupply. The mosquitoes were horrific anywhere 11,000 and lower and near water. For the most part we dry-camped on ridges to avoid them (worked a little!). Lots of flowers out, trail conditions were perfect, and the air was still a bit smoky/hazy but fine for hiking.

In three days on the JMT we met 10 couples hiking north to Canada. (Not everyone we met I listed above as I don't remember all the trail names). There was a time when you'd meet only guys out on the trail. Now, there were nearly as many girls out there going for it as guys.

Congratulations, folks on reaching Yosemite and we hope to hear in Sept/Oct that you made it all the way to your dreams!

Mtnned & John