[pct-l] Mt. Shasta Glaciers Growing

Steve Scoles eagleye at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:30:41 CDT 2008

Well the story about Mount St. Helens was included in a longer version of
the same article.
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080708/D91PUJO80.html

"He said Shasta's seven glaciers are the only ones scientists have
identified as getting larger, with the exception of a small glacier in the
shaded crater of Washington state's Mount St. Helens. It formed after the
1980 eruption blasted away slightly more than half the mountain's ice, and
scientists believe it will not grow in area once it stretches outside the
shade of the crater."
<http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080708/D91PUJO80.html>

I have climbed to the top of Mount St. Helens three times over the last few
years.  It is an amazing thing to look down from the rim a see a growing
lava dome and a growing glacier side by side.  If you have a couple extra
days on your way through Washington, it is a worthwhile trip.

Coyote Steve
Whidbey Island, WA