[pct-l] Crossing the Border

Richard Thalhammer rickt at macnexus.org
Thu Jul 17 02:08:18 CDT 2008

I think Rainskirt has it right:  when you cross into Canada from the
US by vehicle, you stop and talk with the Canadians; when you cross
into the US by vehicle, you stop and talk with the US Border Patrol.
I seriously doubt that both countries keep a running total of their
own citizens crossing the border and then returning, like inventory in
a store being tracked.  Last week, some of us hiked into Canada on the
PCT to Manning Park from Stehekin.  It is perfectly legal to do so,
even though there are no border guards at Monument 78.  Others of us
drove into Canada and hiked south to cross the border into the US at
Monument 78; again, perfectly legal.  We even turned around and hiked
back into Canada without consequence.  Imagine.  If you're moving
northbound from the US into Canada on the PCT and want to do it right,
Canada asks that you obtain a particular permit ahead of time, which
you will return to them on your exit from their country.  The Pacific
Crest Trail Association website tells you how to go about that:  http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits.asp

The US apparently is not so thoughtful, if Austin's experience is
accurate.  But all the SOBOs over the years who have braved that
journey, as well as all the day- and section-hikers who cross the
border from Canada on the PCT--and any other border-crossing trail--
have never reported any harassment from the US Border Patrol, at least
so far.

As long as it remains a low-visibility feature, my guess is that it
will continue to be a non-problem.  But, if you think there are secret
border agents hanging out at Monument 78, I suppose you could walk
from the US side just up TO the border and, probably at the dark of
night, carefully reach out and quickly touch the Monument and bring
your immigrating fingers quickly back to safety.  Of course, you will
then miss all the special treats that reside inside the Monument
itself (it comes apart), but that's the price of paranoia.