[pct-l] Scott and Joe hiking closure

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 03:41:11 CDT 2008

I'm sorry- am I the only one who has a problem with this?

Fire closures are for everyone are they not?  As stewards of the trail,
shouldn't scott and joe be striving to display proper respect for the rules
and regulations of the trail, especially considering they are role models
and particularly well-known along the trail?  Won't this increase the
likelihood of other thrus doing the same thing and becoming less respectul
of wilderness regulations/bear can laws/closures/LNT practices etc. because
they think they're "experts"?  I know we all think Scott and Joe are
super-awesome and hike really quickly but do we as a long-distance
community, want to be seen as a group of hikers that view themselves "above"
restrictions?  In case it isn't clear, no I don't think going for the record
exempts them.   A record-breaking pace hike isn't any more important than
someone trying to get from mexico to canada for the first time.  Or should
we all be ignoring fire closures?

YITOOD,

Easy